Applications for the MFA are made directly to National Art School.
Applications for commencing study in 2018 are open:
Eligibility for standard admission is based upon:
- Australian and New Zealand Bachelor degree qualifications in Fine Art (AQF level 7), or
- overseas tertiary qualifications in Fine Art considered equivalent to Australian studies, with
- a credit average in a that degree, and
- completion of a suitable Major study in that degree
In addition to satisfying eligibility requirements, applications for admission are evaluated upon the following criteria:
- Portfolio of work displaying the technical and conceptual capacity to undertake study at postgraduate level
- Communication and literacy skills required for study at postgraduate level
- Studio Project Proposal displaying the quality, coherence and suitability for study at postgraduate level
Interviews take place on campus in early December. This is your opportunity to talk about your practice, your proposal and why you want to study at the National Art School.
Offers are made as soon as possible after interviews are complete. Successful applicants must complete and return an Acceptance of Offer by the due date to confirm their place on the course.
In exceptional cases where applicants do not possess any of the qualifications outlined above they may apply for admission to the Master of Fine Art with:
- Completion of an undergraduate degree in another discipline; and
- Extensive professional experience in the arts.
Professional experience will include an established record of production and presentation of art works through industry/professional systems as follows:
- Regular presentation of work for solo and group exhibition in venues of industry standing and professional recognition;
- Inclusion of work in curated exhibition programs/projects and art prizes of industry standing and professional recognition;
- Inclusion of work in public and/or private collections of curatorial significance and professional recognition