The interview and portfolio presentation
Admission into the Bachelor of Fine Art is competitive, with selection based on an interview process and portfolio assessment.
Interviews and portfolio evaluations are held on campus in the first week of December.
Upon submitting your completed application to UAC and provided that you meet the educational requirements for admission, you will be contacted and notified of the exact time and date of your interview by National Art School Student Services via email and/or post.
Students unable to attend an interview (e.g. interstate or overseas applicants) may apply using powerpoint, digital files, transcripts of results of previous training and photographic documentation. Please discuss this with Student Services as soon as possible.
How it works:
The interview panel will consist of two members of Academic staff from the National Art School. The panel will ask you a range of questions relating to your interest in the arts, your portfolio, and your reasons for wishing to study at the National Art School. There will also be an opportunity for you to ask course related questions of the panel.
What to bring:
A typed personal statement: (500-1000 words in length) addressing the following points:
- Why you are interested in studying at the National Art School
- What you hope to achieve from your study at the National Art School
- Exhibitions have you seen or participated in during the last 12 months
- Other cultural interests do you have, e.g. films, theatre, music, literature
- An outline of your current art practice and interests
Your portfolio consisting of:
- Minimum of 12 recently completed works
- Relevant support material such as drawings, maquettes, sketchbooks and visual diaries.