One of the following educational qualifications is required to be eligible for admission into the BFA:
- Successful completion of Year 12 (NSW Higher School Certificate or equivalent), or
- TAFE CERT IV in Fine Art or equivalent; or
- Successful completion of a minimum of one year’s tertiary study at an equivalent institution; or
- Successful completion of the UAC STAT test – for applicants who are not current school leavers and do not have suitable qualifications for entry to the National Art School as outlined above.
Applicants over 21 years of age:
Consideration for entry to BFA is also given to mature-age entrants. Non-Current Year 12 applicants or applicants over 21 years of age meeting one of the below requirements must also submit their applications through UAC.
Applicants will be considered eligible to apply if they have completed one of the following:
- NSW Higher School Certificate (1967-present) or equivalent;
- Leaving Certificate (1955-66);
- Diploma or Advanced Diploma at TAFE or other accredited tertiary institution, or
- An approved tertiary preparation course (listed below):
- Higher Education Approved Preparation Courses
- University Preparation Courses (UPC) at the University of Sydney
- University Preparation Program (UPP) and Foundation Studies at UNSW
- NSW TAFE Certificate IV in Tertiary Preparation (TPC)
All tertiary qualifications must be issued for study in an accredited course complying with the Australian Qualifications Framework or a recognised equivalent qualification from a different jurisdiction.
Applicants who do not meet the required educational qualifications for acceptance into the BFA are encouraged to complete the UAC STAT test or a TAFE Diploma in Fine Art or TAFE matriculation program prior to applying to NAS the following year.