- Palette knife (diamond shaped like a trowel)
- Palette (flat, without ridges or indents, e.g. plywood, plastic, Perspex or glass)
- Tube of white acrylic paint (Matisse ‘Structure’ is recommended)
- Willow charcoal
- Paper and pencil for note-taking
- Cotton cloth rags (old sheets are best)
- 1 rectangular take-away container
- Refined linseed oil at least 250ml
- Disposable gloves (optional; vinyl is better than latex)
Note: Do not bring solvents or mediums. A low-odor painting medium will be provided.
We will be doing a number of small exercises so a range of supports would suffice e.g. canvas off cuts; inexpensive mini canvases or canvas boards; thick acid-free paper or cardboard; thin plywood or Masonite off cuts (MDF is not recommended).
Abandoned/unfinished paintings may also be 'recycled'.
Please bring all the brushes you currently own. Ultimately, it is preferable to have 5 or more of each brush you like to use rather than a whole lot of completely different brushes. If you are buying brushes for the first time we recommend the following as a minimum:
- 3 filbert, synthetic or natural hog hair brushes approx. 8mm wide
- 1 round, pointed, synthetic sable brush approx. 5mm wide
- 1 flat, synthetic sable brush approx. 15mm wide
We are using a low-toxicity approach. DO NOT BRING COBALT, CHROME, CADMIUM OR LEAD-BASED PIGMENTS.
The following is a suggested list of colors. The exercises you choose to do might only require a limited selection of colors so please bring the paints you already have and discuss with Michelle before purchasing additional paints. Vine or charcoal black, white and burnt umber will be used on the first day.
- Titanium white (professional grade only; e.g. Old Holland, Winsor and Newton or Art Spectrum)
- Bright yellow (e.g., Winsor yellow, Spectrum yellow – NOT CADMIUM)
- Bright red (e.g., Winsor red, Spectrum red – NOT CADMIUM)
- Yellow ochre or mars Yellow
- Venetian red or red earth
- Alizarin crimson
- Ultramarine blue and Pthalo Blue
- Vine or charcoal black
- Lamp black
Oil paints: Earth Colours
- Raw Sienna
- Burnt Sienna
- Raw Umber
- Burnt Umber.
Protective clothing and covered footwear essential