If you are unsure of what to purchase Graham will explain all the materials list requirements on the first day and materials can be bought at Parkers Art Supplies on campus.
- Notebook to jot down ideas and information
- Watercolour pans or tubes, or both (see desirable list of colours)
- Palette for Mixing- a large white china plate will suffice
- Large Jar or receptacle for holding water
- Small natural sponge
- Small Jar Gum Arabic
- Small Jar Masking Fluid
- Box of Tissues
- Brushes please bring all of your brushes. However, you will need a Number 2, 3, 6 and a broad wash brush. Sables are best but Nylon brushes will suffice e.g. Roymac or Neef brands.
As brushes are very important for watercolour if you are unsure of what to purchase I can brief you on the first morning and you can buy them at Parkers on campus.
The following colours are desirable but please bring what you have
- Alizarin Crimson
- Cadmium Orange
- Yellow Ochre
- Cadmiums are expensive so a cheaper alternative will suffice Cadmium (or a bright Red)
- Cadmium yellow
- Lemon yellow
- Mauve or Violet
- Sap Green
- Ultramarine Blue
- Raw Umber
- Transparent Gold Ochre (If it is available)
Bring along any colours you may already own. If you already own a box or set with colours already in the box, please bring them to class.
- A3 Watercolour/Drawing Pad A3 ( medium surface) or purchase a sheet of watercolour paper (300 grams minimum). As transporting good quality paper is difficult and you may be unfamiliar with what to purchase Graham will discuss the various options on the first morning and paper can be bought at Parkers on campus
- Pencil Sharpener
We will be working on a still life and time permitting an image developed from a photograph or computer generated image.
For the Still Life you will need to bring a piece of patterned material, a small selection of suitable objects and two or three artificial flowers for a still life on the first day.
On the second day please bring an A3 black and white photo copy of an image you would like to develop as a watercolour as well as a colour version of the original (any size). I will show you how to transfer this to a format suitable for a watercolour.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.
Protective clothing and covered footwear essential