Jeff Rigby was born in Sydney in 1948 and graduated from the National Art School, in 1974. In 1975 he gained a Diploma of Education at Sydney Teachers College.
In 1975 Jeff had his first exhibition at Bonython Gallery in Sydney and in 1976 he exhibited at the Macquarie Gallery, beginning a long association which lasted until The Macquarie Galleries closed in 1993. During this time he had ten one man shows and participated in many group shows.
Following the closure of The Macquarie Galleries in 1993, Jeff was represented by The Australian Galleries Sydney, then for a period by Stella Downer and since 1997, by Robin Gibson Galleries Sydney.
Jeff is represented in the collections of the Art Gallery of NSW, The State Library of NSW, Parliament House, Canberra, Manly Art Gallery, Art Bank, Rockhampton Art Gallery, Launceston Art Gallery, The Australiana Fund, Parliament House Canberra, The Kedumba Drawing Collection, and many private collections.
An interest in cityscape, Industrial architecture is offset by a long standing love of landscape, working in the mediums of gouache, acrylic, coloured pencil and charcoal.
He has inherited his love of the environment, built and otherwise and his devotion to objective painting and drawing from his parents Alan and Enid Rigby who were early conservationists and commercial artists from the 1920s and 30s.
Since 1976 Jeff has taught drawing and painting at various NSW colleges of TAFE, but principally at Meadowbank where he served continuously for twenty nine years. He has been a member of the Drawing Department at The National Art School since 2003. Jeff is also a member of the Australian Society of Marine Artists.