The principal mission of the National Art School is to be a centre of excellence for the provision of higher education and research, scholarship and professional practice in the visual arts and related fields.
The National Art School utilises its independent identity and its historic site to develop and deliver arts and cultural awareness in a local, national and international context.
Our strategic priorities over the 2014 – 2022 period are to:
- Be the institute of choice for the study of visual art practice in Australia
- Unlock the historical and cultural significance of the National Art School for the benefit of the broader community
- Create a vibrant cultural hub that attracts and inspires Australia’s diverse communities
- Strengthen operational capacity to ensure the highest quality corporate and academic outcomes
Download our strategic plan
The National Art School is:
Registered as a Higher Education Provider under the Higher Education Support Act 2003 (HESA).
The Academic Board is responsible for the maintenance of academic standards in accordance with accreditation requirements.
Registered under the Australian Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) to provide courses to non-Australian citizens studying in Australia on student visas. (CRICOS Code 03197B)
A public company limited by guarantee (ACN 140 179 111), with two members, the NSW Ministers for Education and for the Arts.
The members appoint a Board of Directors with responsibility for the School and oversight of the leadership of the School.
Registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-Profits Commission (ACNC) as a charity (ABN 89 140 179 111)
Entered on the Register of Cultural Organisations and is recognised by the Australian Taxation Office as a Charitable Institution, endorsed as a Deductible Gift Recipient under Item 1 for the following funds:
- National Art School General Fund
- National Art School Gallery
- National Art School Library
The National Art School Gallery and the National Art School Library are also endorsed under Item 4, and may receive gifts of property under the Cultural Gifts Program.
Download our Constitution